Who We Are
Friends of Nepal is a California non-profit organization in the greater Los Angeles area that engages in educational activities, social services and cultural promotion. Friends of Nepal is fully empowered to operate as a California charitable organization and to extend tax deductions to those making financial contributions to the organization.
Not simply a membership driven organization, Friends of Nepal is unique because of its vision of being a full social service organization, that significantly benefits both the Nepalese and South Asian communities here in the US, and in Nepal. It also upholds strong democratic values and processes for its administration and management. We are looking for members who share this vision. We value all input as to how to make this vision a reality.
Friends of Nepal has eight objectives and goals:
- Organize educational cultural and social activities for bringing the Nepalese community together
- Provide educational services to the community for the preservation and promotion of Nepalese culture
- Provide guidance and counseling for community members seeking assistance with employment, educational opportunities, and social services
- Educate the general public on Nepalese culture and current social issues in and outside of Nepal
- Collaborate with national and international Nepalese organizations on events and projects
- Promote cultural exchange programs between the Nepalese of America and Nepal
- To raise, receive, and manage funds, charities, and donations to carry out worthy humanitarian causes directly or in cooperation with other Nepalese organizations in America and abroad
- Promote understanding and appreciation of South Asian cultures
Upcoming events and plans in support of our mission are as follows:
Social Services: In order to assist Nepali immigrants, Friends of Nepal offers referrals, basic information kits, enrollment assistance in children’s insurance (Medi-Cal, Healthy Families and California Kids), and networking opportunities in order to ease the transition into life in Los Angeles and maintain a smooth life here. As the organization grows with more funding, more community services will be made available relevant to community needs.
Aid To Nepal:
Friends of Nepal plans to work on various social service projects in Nepal. This will be achieved by collaborating with other organizations to raise funds and also develop FON’s own projects. Friends of Nepal is welcome to suggestions for social service projects for Nepal.
Membership Participation: Above all, Friends of Nepal is an organization for its members. Members are encouraged to not only participate in events and services, but also to give input to aid in planing future services and events.
Please Visit Become a Member page for more information on membership